[sclug] NFS exports and transient network

Bob Franklin r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
Tue Nov 1 12:22:38 UTC 2005

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Darren Davison wrote:

> Even attempting to ls the directory hangs the process.  kill -9 (even as
> root) totally fails to kill the ls or the umount process that is
> hanging.  Worse than that, any attempt to reboot fails because the hung
> process cannot be killed!  I have to forcibly power off to get a cold
> boot.

Have you mounted them as 'soft' or 'hard', have you looked at 'intr' too?

The manpage has some words on the subject - although not as many as I
would like.  'hard' means things hang as you suggest (and is probably the
default) but causes less grief for the upper layers because things behave
normally (albeit hanging); 'soft' allows things to timeout, but
applications tend to get upset about that.

'intr' allows the calls to be interrupted, which might be what you want.

   - Bob

--
  Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk>          +44 (0)118 378 7147
  Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK