[sclug] puzzle: including ~/bin in $PATH

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Sun Nov 27 22:11:10 UTC 2005

One my kubuntu machine I get ~/bin prepended to $PATH.
On my sarge machine I don't.

/home is exported from the kubuntu to the sarge machine so both have the
same ~/bin and .bash* - in fact everything in /home except ~/.kde/ and
~/.qt.

In particular both therefore have the same .bash_profile containing:

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d ~/bin ] ; then
     PATH=~/bin:"${PATH}"
fi

If I do something like `touch foo` after setting PATH (above) it works
on the kubuntu machine but not on the sarge machine (when I log out of
and back in to my kde session) so .... it looks as if .bash_profile is
only being run on the kubuntu machine. Why?!!!

Any clues?

The kubuntu machine is running kde 3.4.0, sarge has 3.3.2.

--
John Stumbles