[sclug] puzzle: including ~/bin in $PATH

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Mon Nov 28 09:57:51 UTC 2005

Keith Edmunds wrote:
> John Stumbles wrote:
>
>> to see if bash_profile is being run (it isn't on sarge, it is on kubuntu)
>

> Much easier (and more reliable) way: put 'set -x' as the first line of
> .bash_profile. When you log in you should then see the file being
> executed. If .bash_profile isn't being run, what is the output from your
> Sarge system of:
>
>     grep your-username /etc/passwd

john:x:1000:1000:John Stumbles,,,:/home/john:/bin/bash

>     ls -l ~/.bash_profile

-rw-r--r--  1 john john 447 2005-11-27 21:55 .bash_profile

OK, it's fishy but a bit of a red herring :-)

If I log in on a tty it works OK ($PATH is set properly).

It's only when I log in under kdm and start a kde session that it's not.

So  kde evidently does something different, but what?

--
John Stumbles