[sclug] Mouse not working after install

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Sat Oct 8 15:59:26 UTC 2005

All,

I had an odd mouse not working problem after my test
original install of Suse 9.3.  After checking the connections
I noticed the mouse/keyboard connections were the wrong way
around.  I swapped them around to be correct.  The keyboard
worked fine, after a reboot (it was also working fine in the
mouse port), but the mouse was dead.

The mouse worked fine booting with a Linux recovery CD.
Running yast to make sure the configuration was ok, and
resetting different options, had no effect.

In the end I looked at the xorg.conf file.  One of the fields
for the mouse configuration had a string value contained various
control characters.  These characters did not show up in yast.
Changing the string value to something sensible brought the
mouse back to life :-)

--
Derek M. Jones                              tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd                      mailto:derek at knosof.co.uk
Applications Standards Conformance Testing    http://www.knosof.co.uk