[sclug] CSS

Chris Aitken chris at ion-dreams.com
Thu Oct 20 10:47:08 UTC 2005

> > > You seem to want CSS to allow you to create print result.
> The web is
> > > not a print medium. This is why CSS behaves the way it does. I
> > > recommend reading this:
> > > http://www.grauw.nl/articles/css-faq.php
> >
> > Yes and no. You can create a print style sheet, which most browsers
> > will use when orinting, or print previewing.
>
> Unless you specifically say otherwise (through the
> white-space property[1], for instance), the text is going to
> wrap anyway. But you are correct, you *can* have a print
> stylesheet, but the web is *still* not a print medium. No
> print designer is going to use CSS to lay out their page
> because print design requires far more precision than CSS
> will ever allow. So the print stylesheet just allows *web*
> pages to be printed in a fashion more suitable for reading
> off a piece of paper.

I agree that thw web is not a print medium, but as you have said "the print
stylesheet just allows *web* pages to be printed in a fashion more suitable
for reading off a piece of paper.". People will always print pages off to
read them.

I can just see a print designer sitting there with content in one hand, and
a CSS layout in the other!

believed to be clean.