[sclug] re: Extra optical drive

Neil Haughton n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com
Sun Apr 2 07:53:54 UTC 2006

Alex,

Alex Butcher wrote:

>> Thanks to all who responded with helpful advice. In fact the
>> CD-burner doesn't actually work, it turns out.
>
> Have you tried it on one of the motherboard ATA ports? Only some RAID
> cards
> claim to only support ATA HDDs, and not ATAPI devices.
>
> Does it show up in dmesg? Can you run 'eject' on the device node and have
> the tray pop out?

Yes, No and No again, I'm afraid. Dead as a dodo. I should've tried that
first, but it came from a PC at work that was dumped as part of a
routine upgrade schedule, so I had no reason to suppose it was anything
other than operational. More fool me.

The card datasheet states that it "supports the ATA/ATAPI-6
specification with 2 IDE channels and 4 drives". It appears to be a RAID
card with the RAID options crippled, because the datasheet calls it a
RAID card, but the box states 'Non Raid Version', and the bios doesn't
allow the configuration stated in the installation instructions.

Regards,

Neil.