[sclug] installing Debian on HP Proliant ML110 G3

Adam John Trickett adam.trickett at iredale.net
Sat Aug 19 20:20:55 UTC 2006

Andy Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 05:29:31PM +0100, Rachel wrote:
>> So, I grabbed the latest version of the Etch netinstall which
>> detected the disk fine and installed the base system.
>
> Personally when the sarge installer has problems I prefer to boot
> off a recent ubuntu or knoppix live cd/dvd and debootstrap install
> debian sarge then use a vanilla kernel or one from backports.org.

There is a nice explanation of how to do this in Martin Kraft's Debian
System book and on the DA.org site:

It's a good approach to this kind of problem.

> There are other ways but I find this the quickest for the first
> time (I use images after that).
>
>> However I have discovered that apache2 (which I don't want) IS
>> installed despite the fact I didn't select this during installation.
>> If I try to remove apache2 apt tells me it is not installed - it is,
>> I can start and stop it and browse to localhost using Lynx.

I think apache2 is now default, it does have many advantages over
apache1.3. However you should be able to find apache2 and remove it in
favour of apache 1.3.

> Do a dpkg -l and see if you can find the correct package there?
>
> Mine is called apache2-common.

My Sarge system has:

ii  apache2        2.0.54-5sarge1 next generation, scalable, etc
ii  apache2-common 2.0.54-5sarge1 next generation, scalable, etc
ii  apache2-doc    2.0.54-5sarge1 documentation for apache2
ii  apache2-mpm-pr 2.0.54-5sarge1 traditional model for Apache2
ii  apache2-utils  2.0.54-5sarge1 utility programs for webservers
ii  libapache-dbi- 0.94-2         Connect apache server to database etc
ii  libapache2-mod 2.0.48-4-2.1   Module for Apache2 which provides etc
ii  libapache2-mod 1.1.1-6        Module for Apache2 which checks etc
ii  libapache2-mod 1.999.21-1     Integration of perl with the Apache2
ii  libapr0        2.0.54-5sarge1 the Apache Portable Runtime

If you run

# aptitude search apache | grep -v apache2

no shortage of stuff comes back. So once you have got apache2 off you
should be able to put apache1.3 on without a problem.

--
 Adam Trickett
  Overton, HANTS, UK