[sclug] Wireless card on Linux

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Mon Aug 21 17:17:40 UTC 2006

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com wrote:

> Can any one offer advice recommendations on any of the following
> offerings?
>
> http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/cat/Wireless/subcat/PCI-Adapters
>
> I suppose I'm really seeking a painless solution, if there is one.

The most painless will probably be something using a Prism or Cisco Aironet
chipsets (as these chipsets require no firmware downloads, and their drivers
are in the mainline kernel). Expect to pay more than these prices, even on
eBay.

Solwise used to be pretty good about labelling what chipset the cards they
sold used, but even they seem to have stopped.

> TIA
> Neil.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK.                           PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
  - Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>