[sclug] Ubuntu Xserver "upgrade"

Ed Davies sclug at edavies.nildram.co.uk
Wed Aug 23 00:02:22 UTC 2006

If you're an Ubuntu user and you haven't done the recent
Xserver upgrade - DON'T - at least until you've read the
Ubuntu site.

It doesn't work.  You'll be dumped at the command line
on the next boot, after a bunch of not very informative
and dreadfully formatted error screens.

There's a workaround (regression?) on the Ubuntu forum.
See the green banner across the top of the page at:

   http://www.ubuntuforums.org/

which links to more details here:

   http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=241254

I'm

1) Slightly pissed off that this has happened but somewhat
more pissed off that the upgrade hasn't been pulled - the
workaround was published 15 hours ago yet I only applied
the upgrade about two or three hours ago.

2) Impressed and pleased that a workaround has been published
so quickly.

3) So pleased that I can dual boot into Windows to be able
to read the forum.

For my further education: the published workaround involves
downloading two .deb files: ...xserver-xorg-core... and
...xserver-xorg-dev... yet the instructions seem to say to
only install the core one:

   sudo dpkg -i xserver-xorg-core*.deb

Does this pull in the dev package as well somehow or what's
going on here?

Ed.