[sclug] Installing without bootstrap

Tom Dawes-Gamble tmdg at tmdg.co.uk
Fri Aug 25 15:23:06 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 18:06 +0100, ed wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 01:43:18 +0100
> James Beckett <sclug at hackery.net> wrote:
> > Is it possible (and not too error-prone) to install onto a fresh scsi
> > drive from within a current running system, allowing one to configure
> > to taste and copy across data before rebooting into the new system
> > (and conveniently being able to multiboot back into the old)? Possibly
> > even run the new system in a VM before committing to it?

Just a quick update.

I have just tried an upgrade.  I couldn't find my RH9 disks so I used
RH7.2.

Here is the deal.  So to speak,

I installed RH7.2 I didn't actually do much configuration to it made a
user. Set up ssh.

I did change grub.conf in line with :-

 http://levine.sscnet.ucla.edu/general/software/tc1000/rmredhat.htm

Since I'm testing a remote install.

I then upgraded to FC5 and it all worked a treat.

The grub.conf still had the changes I made.  The host key for ssh didn't
change either.  Plus my entry in the passwd fie was still there.

So if your not worried about moving to LVM you could go for a big bang
upgrade.  Of course YMMV :-).

Personally I would copy to the new disk and ensure that it boots before
trying the upgrade so that you have some sort of fall back.

Regards,
Tom.