[sclug] X / Gnome setup query

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Wed Aug 30 21:19:45 UTC 2006

So I've got these two computers. One's a (reasonably) powerful desktop in my
study. The other's a crappy laptop in the living room.

I'd like to be able to use the laptop as an X server, so I can sit in the
living room where it's comfortable and use the desktop machine, which is fast.
 And thanks to the magic of XDMCP, this all works. A simple 'X -broadcast'
gives me my desktop's login screen on the laptop.

Unfortunately, it's almost unusably slow.

I need to set up:

* lbx, to reduce round-trips over the crappy 11Mbps wireless card in the laptop;
* some mechanism to simplify the desktop graphics to make them more efficient
to blit over the network link.

I can probably do the first, but I don't know how to do the second. Or rather,
I don't know how to do it *without* also changing the setup when logged in on
the desktop. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how I could have two
completely separate graphics profiles on the same account? Am I going to have
to do evil things like having two users with the same UID but different home
directories, or is there an easier way?

This is on Ubuntu Dapper using Gnome, if it makes any difference.

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "Gaping from its single obling socket was
+- www.cowlark.com --+ original)