[sclug] Ubuntu 6.06 disaster

ed ed at s5h.net
Sun Dec 17 14:12:53 UTC 2006

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 12:20:33 +0000
Ed Davies <sclug at edavies.nildram.co.uk> wrote:

> Keith Edmunds wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 14:03:16 +0000
> > Neil Haughton <haughtonomous at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I have
> >> inadvertently deleted my 'admin' group, and need to recreate it
> >> with the original ID number.
> >
> > Given the variety of answers so far, maybe the best thing to do is
> > to ask others to find a file with group 'admin' and then you can
> > see what GID the same file on your system is. That will tell you
> > what GID admin was on your system.
>
> Good idea, but on my system
>
> $ sudo find / -group admin
>
> didn't find anything.  That didn't terribly surprise me, it's mainly
> (only?) used in /etc/sudoers.  In which case, does the GID matter?

probably not as sudo does not use the gid in sudoers.

it's only the filesystem (afaik) that uses the uid/gid outside of
execution space... which is temporary.

you are right, admin is not used frequently. the only system i have
used that has admin as the superuser is a cobalt 550 raq. someone else
installed this, so maybe they set it up like that... the normal drill
was to login, switch user and group to admin/admin...

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.usenix.org.uk
just another c++ hacker