[sclug] using iPod nano with Linux PC?

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Wed Dec 20 16:42:18 UTC 2006

John Stumbles wrote:
> Son & heir covets an ipod nano but we're pretty much a Redmond-free zone
> here so what are the options? Google 'ipod nano linux' turns up lots of
> install ipod-linux links: this sounds cool but does it work? I'd hate to
> shell out on one and find it makes a rather lightweight doorstop :-|
>
> Are there ways of driving an unmodded ipod from a linux PC?

I have a ipod video (30gb) and although I used it very initially on a
doze machine, to sync immediately with wifes stuff, I then plugged
into kubuntu with amarok and I think rhythmbox. Both seemed pretty
good and basically worked in a sophisticated way, but I did not have
time to follow it all up yet.

I will need to know both doze itunes and linux apps various. From my
limited experience with itunes it is a very well integrated app, no
doubt. Amarok and rhythmbox  look excellent but they are not
equivalent to itunes in all respects. IPOD is easy to use though
without doze. I had believed that the initial setting up (format?) of
purchased ipod was hard without doze, but I think they are now shipped
already formatted (?).

Initial itunes use for cd ripping produced .mp4 files which them
needed conversion to mp3 to play (other) players.
I did not really enjoy the itunes complexity - they make it easy they
think, but as with doze, hidden functions and smart stuff can cause
confusion. It did in our house. I prefer the amarok/rhythmbox
approaches - more visible I think. I need to do more research yet though.

Good luck
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391