[sclug] domain / www hosting

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Sun Dec 24 11:05:25 UTC 2006

On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 01:37:42PM +0000, Darren Davison wrote:
> I want to get a few megs of free space for my domain so I can host it under
> www.davisononline.org  There are plenty of companies offering small amounts
> of space for free, but all of them seem to insist on me changing the DNS
> servers for my domain to them.

Insist how?  Do they actually check or are they just trying to reduce
support issues?

Can you not just keep doing your own DNS and tell them that you have
indeed made the change?

You can query the servers they tell you to use directly for
www.yourdomainname and then use that IP/CNAME as the record in the zone
you host yourself.

> Does anyone know of a free hoster that will just tell me which IP
> address to associate with my www A record in the DNS so that I can
> keep control at NetworkSolutions?  Do such things exist?

Friends don't let friends keep domains with Network Solutions.

Seriously, move the domain to an OpenSRS based reseller (disclaimer: I
represent Black Cat Networks, an OpenSRS reseller) or any other
competent reseller really.

Simon.

--
UK based domain, email and web hosting ***/  - You have saved our lives. /*
http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/     **/             We are eternally /**