[sclug] Linux on iPAQ

Martin Summers Martin.Summers at ansys.com
Wed Jan 4 08:01:29 UTC 2006

Hello Stuart,

I have never actually done this myself, but I understand that the process is fairly straight forward (or so people tell me). The thing to watch out for is to make sure that when you reflash the iPAQ, that you make very sure the ROM image you are using is good, and that it won't be interrupted. A lot of people seem to say that if you can use a Compact Flash card to load the ROM images, then this seems the most reliable way, but make sure you check the release notes that the version of the ROM image you are using supports your particular model of iPAQ and will work with a CF card (not all models will). Your really don't want to get this wrong as if you do, you can "brick" your iPAQ (i.e it becomes as useful as a house brick)

Do you have any specific questions on the installation ?
I assume you have found the web site http://familiar.handhelds.org/releases/v0.8.2/install/  ?

regards,

Martin Summers