[sclug] stuff

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 09:50:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Chris Aitken wrote:

>> : [1] anything better than a Reading Council wheeliebin
>>
>> <grumble>You get wheelie bins?  Lucky sod.  We (Wokingham)
>> don't.</grumble>
>
> Indeed. We even have to supply the bins ourself :(

<economics><politics>
Well, if you got bins through the council, you wouldn't get them gratis
anyway - you'd end up paying for them through your council tax anyway.

The only question then is whether the council can obtain and supply them
cheaper than individuals can, by application of its purchasing power and
economies of scale, or whether the bureaucracy would end up outweighing any
possible savings... Wokingham's council election results appear to indicate
the majority of its residents believe the latter.
</politics></economics>

Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?