[sclug] Partition Woes

Robert Baker-Self sclug at bloodandhonour.nildram.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 13:12:57 UTC 2006

First up, hi! I've been lurking for a bit, mostly due to some complexities
in sending messages to the list. I hope that I'll be able to make a meet at
some point.

Second of all, I've broken it (sort of) and I could do with some help fixing
it.

I'm running Kubuntu on an Acer Aspire 1363 laptop, in the main, very
happily. I had a crash (which was my fault, I think) which seemed to corrupt
the partition table : Grub reported Error 17. Some fancy (well, not)
footwork with the install disk allowed me to restore it, and everything
seemed to be working well. Until I looked at disk usage. I've got several
partitions - a 20GB WinXP partition, an ext2 boot partition, a swap, and a
36GB ReiserFS partition that serves as /. I wish, now, that I'd seperated
/home into a different partition, but bit late for that now.

It's the ReiserFS partition that's reporting as nearly full, but when I use
filelight to analyze disk space usage, it reports only 12GB used, which
roughly corresponds to where I thought I was.

Is there any way that I can resolve this issue, that anyone knows? Or is it
a question of backup and reinstall?

Thanks,

Robert