[sclug] DNS caching brokenness

Bob Franklin r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
Sat Jan 28 22:51:51 UTC 2006

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, Simon Huggins wrote:

> ...  I believe NTL do weird DNS things (or possibly it's their webcache
> I haven't looked personally, just seen reports).

NTL have issues with both their DNS and webcache server.

Their DNS servers seem to be constantly breaking, failing to answer
queries, etc.  I have solved this by running a full DNS server on a home
box; all the problems went away, when I did this (as opposed to pointing
directly at theirs, or making my DNS server at home forward to them).

Their webcaches do all sorts of things to break the HTTP spec.  I've seen
them fail to honour 'no-cache' headers, fail to serve some objects, not
honour Expires: headers and also cache pages with POSTed data (the last
one causing people to see each other's webmail).

   - Bob

--
  Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk>          +44 (0)118 378 7147
  Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK