[sclug] Install fest / community support day in August/September?

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Sat Jul 15 01:16:42 UTC 2006

Ahoy,

Quoting Alan Pope <alan at popey.com>:
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 08:36:45PM +0100, Tom Chance wrote:
>> Would people be interesting in running an install fest, perhaps with
>> more of a
>> community support feel, in August or September?
>>

> Software freedom day [0] is coming up on the 16th September. You
> might want to do something for that?

That's too good a coincidence! It would be great if we could get lots
of people
locally involved with putting on an event on that day. Looking at the ideas on
the SFD wiki there are several things we could do quite easily:

# Get together with schools, universities and other people who can
benefit from
Free Software
# Run a competition, best FOSS developed music, graphics, short video
# Set up simple public booth and hand out CDs.
# Run some demo machines in a public space and show off your FOSS
# Hold installation workshops and combined FOSS installfests
# Have a cultural event - food, drink, music (jam session? - "open-source
music").

Basically, if enough people show interest, and we can reach out beyond
SCLUG to
the Hants LUG, local universities and colleges, and others who might be
interested,I think it could be great. We can do all of the items above, no
problem, just so long as we get volunteers and punters to justify the effort!

Regards,
Tom

--
I am aware that emails to this address may be mistakenly caught as spam. If
you don't get a reasonably timely reply, please try contacting me at
telex4 at yahoo.com