[sclug] Testing traffic shaping

James Wyper jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 2 14:27:44 UTC 2006

Afternoon everyone,

I've attempted to set up some simple traffic shaping on my box at home (which acts as internet gateway / router / firewall for my home network) using Shorewall.  The main reason for doing this is to stop my [wife's] internet browsing slowing to a crawl when an upload-heavy application (Bittorrent, rsync etc.) is running.

I'm not convinced that it's working properly yet, but can't prove it.  Can anyone recommend a tool that for a given network interface and a given interval (say 10 seconds) can show me the rate at which traffic is passing through, split by source and / or destination port?

And if anyone else has got Shorewall's traffic shaping to work, or can recommend a simpler alternative, please let me know.  I'm currently running Mandrake 10.1 (but may switch to Kubuntu soon).

Thanks,
James.