[sclug] Van Dyke Software's SecureCRT private keys

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Wed Jun 14 19:35:41 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 05:21:56PM +0100, Sapan Ganguly wrote:
>    Does anyone know of a way of converting private SSH keys that have
>    been generated with Van Dyke's SecureCRT into OpenSSH format?  I have
>    asked Van Dyke directly and they say a tool is being developed but
>    they have been saying that since 2004!

There is no way to convert the proprietary Vandyke private key
format to a portable one.  They will not release the specs of the
file format either.

This is pretty much a poster boy case of why non-Free software is
bad; you paid for software that won't interoperate, you're at the
mercy of the vendor who will decide when you can do the trivial
thing you want to do, and probably if they ever get around to it
they will charge you more.

Cheers,
Andy