[sclug] hot drives

Pieter Claassen pieter at claassen.co.uk
Sun Jun 18 23:22:31 UTC 2006

Eeeek, I am in hard drive hell!!!

A while ago I swore never to buy Maxtor ever again but then .....

I have two 120GB Maxtors in a soft raid config (actually they are plugged into
a cheap PCI PATA raid card but after config, the linux kernel still sees them
as two disks so I just went with soft raid).

The one disk failed the other day and I pulled two 250GB SATA Maxtors off my
shelf with a cheap Sweex SATA raid controller.

All works fine (other than once the raid array has been set up in the SATA
bios then linux still sees two drives so I just went with soft raid again).

My problem is that these drives run so hot (notwithstanding the sales burp on
the box stating that SATA runs cooler than PATA), that I cannot touch them.
The are not going to last a week unless they have titanium circuitry in them.
They are also separated with a 2cm air gap and good airflow (passive).

Does anybody have any experience with this? Seen this. Anything I can do short
of never buying a maxtor again?

Cheers,