[sclug] Drive manufacturers (was: hot drives)

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Mon Jun 19 12:41:27 UTC 2006

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Keith Edmunds wrote:

>> A while ago I swore never to buy Maxtor ever again but then .....
>
> What make of SATA drives do people prefer? I suspect there will be a
> fairly equal spread amongst users here, but it would be interesting to
> hear opinions.

Regardless of interface standard, I currently prefer Seagate and WD
enterprise drives on the basis of their warranty terms - 5 years. After that
comes WD's Special Edition (JB/JD) models with 3 year warranties. Maxtor is
at the bottom of my list, based on the anecdotally-high rates of failure
I've heard of. Maxtor have just been bought by Seagate, and they've had
thousands of employees sacked, so hopefully the Maxtor brand will become
more like Seagate rather than the other way around. :-/

There's a saying I've heard, though, that says that at any given time,
there's only enough engineers to make up one top-flight team of HDD
designers, and they drift from manufacturer to manufacturer in sequence.

> Keith

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK.                           PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
  - Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>