[sclug] What to use LVM for

Chris Aitken chris at ion-dreams.com
Wed Mar 15 16:09:34 UTC 2006

> Thinking of how to partition my new 300G hdd for my desktop
> I'm wondering about LVM. It seems I could add the whole drive
> to a volume group and allocate all my partitions out of that.
> Is it safe/possible to do this for my root and swap partions
> as well as /home and any others or should I have those as old
> fashioned cast-in-stone partitions?
>
> And if so how does one set up LVM when doing a debian (sarge)
> install? I can't remember (and don't yet have a machine handy
> to try it on) if LVM is an option during the install process.
> Will there be anything machine-specific I'll wish I'd found
> out before starting the installation? :-)

I wouldn't put the root partition on the LVM. Mainly because that needs an
initrd, and I couldn't be arsed with that.
The server here has a large partition that is a Volume Group (VG). It holds
3 Logical Volumes (LV): home_lv, tmp_lv and mail_lv (mounted at /home, /var
& /var/mail respectively.

I set the server up manually, so once it had installed, I rebooted into
single user mode, then moved the respective directories to their
filesystems.

As an aside, the VG exists on it's own RAID1 partition. /var, /root & /swap
also have their own non-LVM RAID1 partitions.

TBH, I'd stick it all in the LVM, bar root and swap. Swap doesn't seem such
an issue now, especially with the price of RAM.

HTH
Chris

believed to be clean.