[sclug] What distro?

Simon Champion simon at spudley.com
Mon May 8 19:08:08 UTC 2006

On Monday 08 May 2006 19:27, Neil Haughton wrote:
> Slight twist to this question - my Dad (86) who has fought a fight with
> Windows 98 since, well about 1998 I guess, has had enough and is about
> to take the Linux plunge.  The question is which distro would be most
> suitable?  Ubuntu is quite popular out there (South Africa) in the Linux
> world, for obvious reasons I suppose, but I wonder if Gnome might be a
> little too strange after the W98 interface.

Well.... there's always Kubuntu, which is Ubuntu+KDE. The benefits of Ubuntu
with the familiarity of KDE.

Other than that (and since he's so far away that you're not likely to be able
to go over and help him out when he needs a hand), I'd suggest going for one
that is easy to install and easy to maintain. And for that reason, I'd
suggest Suse. (And on the bright side, the final version of Suse 10.1 is due
out any day now.... aparently)

Hope that helps.  :)

    Simon C.