[sclug] Vim Query

Bob Franklin r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
Sat May 27 13:10:18 UTC 2006

On Sat, 27 May 2006, Glyn wrote:

> The only problem I have remaining are these pesky @ lines, which I guess
> are 'empty' lines...

The lines showing as '@' at the bottom of the screen/window show the next
line is too long to completely fit on the screen; if you scroll down, the
complete line should appear.

You may like to try 'vimtutor' (just run it from the shell); this starts
up vim with a file in which is a tutorial; you navigate through it, doing
the exercises.  It starts with moving the cursor about and gets on to cut
and paste and so on; 10 or 20 minutes with that will probably help a lot.

For about 5 years of Linux/UNIX, the only thing I knew about vi was
pressing <Escape> about 10 times, then typing ':q!' <Return>.  Gvim is
quite a good mix of vi(m) and a desktop, since you can copy and paste
using the clipboard, but I'm sure some purists will eschew that, along
with the cursor keys and probably insist you should us 'ed', or maybe even
sed, head and tail.  :)

   - Bob

--
  Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk>          +44 (0)118 378 7147
  Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK