[sclug] Vim Query

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat May 27 16:21:14 UTC 2006

On Sat, 27 May 2006, Glyn wrote:

>> On Sat, 27 May 2006, Alex  wrote the following in response to my "Vim
>> Query" posting:
>
>> There's nothing magical about vi(m); it's just a boring text editor.

[snip]

> The impression I have formed from various sources on the web is that
> learning Vim is a steep curve but well worth the climb

Beyond learning enough to repair essential files, I haven't found that to be
the case in the last fourteen years. Editors are a highly personal thing
(probably due to the amount of time a UNIX admin/programmer spends
interacting with them) and so people end up with very entrenched positions
and defend and evangelise their choices quite vocally at times. Ultimately,
though, the choice of editor usually comes down to a historical accident,
and one text editor is largely interchangeable with another (I might allow
some leeway for emacs here, though :-)

All that said, if you're determined to learn vi(m) for its own sake, I won't
stop you. I just wonder whether there are better things to be spending your
time learning instead. :-)

> Glyn

HTH,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher         Renew for Freedom! Renew your passport in May 2006 and
Bristol, UK          resist compulsory UK ID Cards and National ID Database