[sclug] Initialising wireless network interface problem

Neil Haughton haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 5 14:50:25 UTC 2006

> Just a random thought: some older VIA kit in particular has dodgy
> ACPI. Have you tried setting pci=noacpi as a kernel parameter, or even
> acpi=off ?

I've now tried pci=noacpi and so far the symptoms haven' t returned -
although it's probably too early to tell if it has cured the problem.
But I'm interested - why should a power management protocol effect
initialising a wireless network interface, when it doesn't affect the
conventional ethernet interface, or any other on board or plugged-in
devices?

> 2nd random thought: ... Since ndiswrapper wraps the XP driver (IIRC?)

It does
> I suspect it isn't c). That leaves d). Is there any way to put a few
> seconds of extra delay between the relevant steps in the boot sequence?

Good question, and those were my initial thoughts too - but I don't know
enough about 'low level' Linux to be able to tell how this could be
done. Can anyone tell me? Presumably a simple 'pause for n secs' in the
startup scripts just before the network interfaces are initialised is
not what you mean.

Neil.