[sclug] Linux Apprentice Wanted !

John Dickson johnd at cavcomp.co.uk
Mon Nov 6 16:51:50 UTC 2006

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 14:25:55 -0000, Darren Davisonwrote:

>> not many sports have mixed sex competitors. i can't think of any
>> besides tennis, maybe its due to fornication in the locker rooms or
>> something...
>
> equestrian events (show jumping, cross-country, horse racing)

At Last! Here's something I can post about! As I know little about the
arcane internals of  Linux and care even less, it has been really boring
lurking in this list for so long. I really must thank you all for giving
me this opportunity to join in.

What about:

Table tennis, badminton, any other sport with "mixed doubles" events

Football, cricket, and hockey at Junior school level have mixed teams.
Many other sports. e.g. various forms of single person canoeing, have
mixed competions up to 16 year-old or 18year-old level. Adult hockey is
sometimes played by mixed teams but matches between men's teama and
women's teams are quite common (and extremely dangerous for the men).

Darts, tidleywinks, marbles.  Bowls, bowling. Tossing hay bales, wellie
throwing, dwyle flonking.

Three-legged race.

Pub boat-race (both pints and halves). I was present om memorable occasion
when the entire wardroom of a frigate (which had better remain nameless),
were trounced by the Chief Stoker's wife in a record time of 29.6 seconds
for 6 pints of bitter.

Pin-the-tail-on-the-Donkey, and on and on ...........

But the ultimate for 'mixed sex' competitors would be the 'Hermaphrodite
Olympics'.  Now is the time to start lobbying Ken Livingstone to have this
included in London 2012. He would be sure to take the suggestion up.