Supporting distro re-packaging (Was: [sclug] Linux Apprentice Wanted !)

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Tue Nov 7 13:39:58 UTC 2006

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006, Jacqui Caren wrote:

> I understand why some distros rework apache config (I actually like the
> MDK config set up) but "starting from source" seems to be the only way
> to avoid compiled in distro stupidities.

Such as?

Alternatively, how about picking a distro that doesn't regularly compile
with the -DSTUPIDITY flag set? ;-)

> I have seen responses to the effect of "build from source and let us know if
> it still fails" and the resposnes are always very negative
> and is never followed.

That's because that's pretty much a cop out. If it's issuing error/warning
messages, grep the source for them and find out the conditions that make
those messages arise, if it's segfaulting, run gdb on the core dump, if it's
failing to start, run it under strace and see what files/directories it's
trying to open and if the network isn't, then use wireshark/tcpdump to find
out what's really happening.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK.                           PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
  - Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>