[sclug] sharing $HOME on various machines

Dickon Hood sclug at splurge.fluff.org
Sat Nov 11 22:30:31 UTC 2006

On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 21:43:53 +0000, Ed Davies wrote:
: John Stumbles wrote:
: >I want to mount /home from the machine where our home dirs live on other
: >machines (obviously enough). ...

You need to bear in mind that a symlink of the form you half-suggested
(ie, including '$HOSTNAME' or whatever it was) won't work; I think you
need to think about symlink farms to a machine-local
/local/home/user/.foorc for your .rc files; this isn't ideal, but works.

: I was wondering about something related to this the other
: day.

: Am I right in thinking that, when you mount a file system
: on an system other than the one it was created for, the
: user and group IDs actually used in the file system match
: across the two systems, or is there some mapping somewhere
: which I haven't read about yet?

The filesystem stores all this little lot numerically, and for display
purposes, the local databases (PAM / /etc/{passwd,group} / NIS / LDAP /
whatever) are consulted.

There is a mapping daemon the name of which I forget for NFS, but that's
not foolproof either.

--
Dickon Hood

Due to digital rights management, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.

No virus was found in this outgoing message as I didn't bother looking.