[sclug] Grub and Windows XP

James Wyper jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 14 09:32:54 UTC 2006

Hello everyone.

My father's PC used to have Win98 on hda and Ubuntu on hdb, bootloaded by GRUB on the MBR of hda.  He then installed Windows XP on hda and unsurprisingly can't boot Ubuntu any more since the MBR has been overwritten.

Years ago if you wanted to dual boot an NT-style OS and Linux you needed to run the NT bootloader first and then LILO or whatever.  Is this still the case?  In other words would it be better for me to

(a) reinstall GRUB on hdb, take a copy of the boot sector and place it on hda, and use the WinXP bootloader to choose between this boot sector (and hence GRUB on hdb) and Windows

or

(b) just reinstall GRUB on the MBR of hda and dispense with the Windows bootloader?

Grateful for any advice - the Grub documentation is a bit sketchy on this.

Thanks,
James.