[sclug] Open Letter to the Community from Novell

Patrick patrick at kirks.net
Wed Nov 22 10:42:58 UTC 2006

pieter Claassen wrote:
[gratuitous snippage]

> As to what Novell should do to make money? I really think that they should ask
> their highly paid board to come up with this answer, but my 2c is: Their
> investment and contribution to the OSS world (Ximian, Suse etc.) will make
> them indispensable to clients who need support from those who know.  Yes,
> Pieter

I agree with every word Pieter.  But still to me, none of this makes
sense for Novell.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=NOVL

Their return on an investment of $2 billion is less than 1%.  Thats a
lot of money to put into a support business.  The rational course would
be to close the firm and put the money on a savings account.