[sclug] Open Letter to the Community from Novell

Roland Turner SCLUG raz.fpyht.bet.hx at raz.cx
Wed Nov 22 19:52:36 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 19:21 +0000, ed wrote:

> > Apologies for the ambuguity: by "Linux" I meant "Linux" not "SUSE
> > Linux Enterprise". If Microsoft is going to attack, the kernel is the
> > place to strike.
> >
> they did attack that during the sco case... and lost (unless they
> appeal, or are appealing, or wherever that has got to now). but this
> time, they have the help of kernel patches to do their dirty work.

Note that the SCO case was never likely to succeed; from Microsoft's
standpoint it was a low-risk experiment. That the particular attack
failed (IBM's alleged breach of trade-secret obligations) does not mean
that the kernel is now immune. In particular, SCO did not allege
infringement of Microsoft patents (obviously).

The latter appears to be the line that Microsoft has in its mind, at
least for the current FUD campaign.

- Raz