[sclug] using Xgl and Beryl

James Wyper jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 26 12:33:02 UTC 2006

It doesn't install the full range of ubuntu-packeged software in the same way that synaptic or whatever does.  Instead it sets up a new file of repositories and uses that to ** easily ** install things that can't be apt-got in plain ubuntu, such as Java, Flash, Windows codecs, Google Earth etc due to licensing and / or patent issues.  After it has run it should then restore your original /etc/apt/sources.lst.

It doesn't do anything you couldn't do yourself with a bit of legwork and a lot of googling; but it does make it (dramatically) faster.

If you've ever used Mandr[ake|iva] and discovered plf (plf.zarb.org); this is very similar.

James.