[sclug] Warty warty where art thou?

Ed Davies sclug at edavies.nildram.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 09:17:53 UTC 2007

Darren Davison wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 08:13:01PM +0100, [another] ed wrote:
>> I don't know. I think Dapper was the replacement, with LTS (long term
>> support), so it should be around for a while yet.
>
> I'm not certain, but I believe LTS meant 18 months.  Which means you have
> about 5 left as it was released June '06.  Edgy and Feisty have superceded
> it with Gutsy to follow in October.

Not quite.  18 months is the support period for the
normal releases.  LTS releases are longer but I
couldn't find the period on the Ubuntu site.  The
closest was:

   http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/releases

which says:

> In addition to the regular six-monthly releases, the
> Ubuntu team may make an Enterprise Release (based on
> an existing time-based release), also known as a "Long
> Term Support (LTS)" release, that has received
> additional stabilization, polish and translation work.
> These Enterprise Releases will be supported for a
> longer period than the standard 18 month support of the
> time based releases. Upgrades will be supported from
> enterprise release to enterprise release.

I have a vague memory of them saying five years for LTS
but that sounds a long time.

So far, Dapper is the only LTS release actually made and
I don't think the next one has been announced.

Ed Davies.