[sclug] less not cooperating

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 26 19:00:41 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I'm writing an application in a compiled language (java, if it matters).
For reasons that are too boring to go into here, the app needs to print
a large text file to the console such that the user can read through it.
Since this particular piece of code knows that it's running in Linux,
the obvious answer seemed to be, call out to /usr/bin/less and get it to
do the work.

Well, it prints the thing, but unfortunately it prints it all at once,
without the interactive page breaks. Which is no good :-( I suspect I'm
missing some kind of shell-fu.

Anyone have any ideas?

TIA

Will.