[sclug] Intranet Email

ed ed at s5h.net
Thu Jul 26 19:39:45 UTC 2007

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 20:15:24 +0100
Phillip Chandler <phillip.chandler at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> A technical question for you. Ive been asked to setup a home lan, in a
> building where there are 10 tenants, who want to share an 8mb internet
> connection.
> A couple are serious users, while others are just email checkers and
> surfers.
> The question is : Is it possible to set them all up, so they can send
> each other an internal email. They dont have a domain name, so we're
> thinking whether its possible to send an internal email to a static IP
> address. Everyones IP address will be setup as static.

You will need an email server of some sorts. Your users don't all sound
like the sort of people who have /usr/sbin/sendmail installed.

You're welcome to use a subdomain of s5h.net if you wish, this is
available for free on my site (in a somewhat unmaintained state).

Sending an email to an IP address, for what it's worth, is done like
this:

  foo@[192.168.0.100]

however, an SMTP server needs to be listening on that to handle the
mail.

You might be better off using a jabber server to handle the messages,
but I don't think there is a broadcast on that.

Have you thought about setting up a free email list? freelists.org
might be of use, this would avoid having to setup any mail servers and
what-not.

--
The dirt trail to your cube is rewiring servers and routers because of
an errant well-driller. Teleport is trying to be EBITDA positive by the