[sclug] less not cooperating

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Jul 28 09:27:25 UTC 2007

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, Will Dickson wrote:

> From clues I've gleaned since, and suggestions I've been given here, I think
> the situation is that less can tell, even when it's operating in some kinds
> of pipeline, if it's really writing to a terminal device, and behaves
> accordingly. However, the Java process-control abstraction is breaking that
> link, so that less can only see stdin, stdout and stderr; 3 streams without
> special characteristics. In this case, it does the best it can, which is to
> behave like cat.

Would it be utterly dreadful to run 'xterm -e /usr/bin/less foo' ? That'll
give it a proper terminal setup and is less work than re-writing more in
Java.

> Will.

HTH,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK.                           PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
  - Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>