[sclug] Linux backup solutions

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Mon Jun 11 09:37:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, David Newcomb wrote:

> I was previously using an OnStream IDE tape backup
> but they went out of business and we only have 3 tapes
> left.

I see OnStream tapes are 'ADR'. Googling finds a googlead for
<http://comp-unlimited.co.uk/shop/adr-tape-cartridges/adr-on-stream-cartridges/>
selling new tapes.

> I need to find an alternative solution. We have 25-35GB of stuff which is
> backuped each night. It doesn't have to be tape, just something that's
> removable.

SCSI DLT if you want to do it right, USB HDD if you want to do it cheaply.

How important is the data? Important enough to back up, but is it important
enough to be restoreable?

> Cheers,
> David

HTH,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK.                           PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
  - Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>