[sclug] Under(re)volting - How does MS do it?

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Thu Mar 1 10:41:27 UTC 2007

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Goten Xiao wrote:

> My ancient Dell Latitude CPxJ650 (or whatever the model number is)
> suffers from chronic memory effect; ten minutes after using it it
> claims it has 15 minutes of battery life remaining.

Chances are the Lithium-Ion battery needs replacing; they only have about a
3 year lifespan from the factory, and your laptop must be at least 5 years
old now, based on its spec (my Toshiba Sat 3000 w/ PIII-933, 20G HDD, 14"
display and WXP was bought in Feb 2002).

I replaced mine last year after experiencing similar issues with battery
life. I bought from <http://www.interbatteries.co.uk/index.php> who seem to
be OK. It took a while to find out whether I had the infamous exploding Sony
batteries or not (the battery pack claims Panasonic via ACPI, FWIW).

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK.                           PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
  - Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>