[sclug] RAID and/or LVM for ganging together HDDs to expand capacity?

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Fri Oct 19 00:16:41 UTC 2007

Keith Edmunds wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 22:24:16 +0000, tmdg at weardale.cl said:
>
>> Once you start running out of space again just buy another disk and add
>> that in to the Volume group in the same way.
>
> The problem with this approach is that with each additional disk, the MTBF
> of the array decrease (Mean Time Between Failures). If you expect, for
> example, a disk to last three years, you'd expect one in three to fail
> each year - and each time it does, you've lost all the data.

With LVM when one disk fails do you lose all the data on the entire set
of disks or just that which is physically on the failed disk?

I realise the point about MTBF. For that reason - as well as limitations
in how many discs I can run inside a box - I wouldn't plan to have more
than 2 drives permanently running at a time.

> By the way, how are you backing up 300Gb+ of data?

To DVDs using a homebrew script

Anybody know how much DLT is these days?

--
John Stumbles