[sclug] RAID and/or LVM for ganging together HDDs to expand capacity?

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Fri Oct 19 08:53:33 UTC 2007

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Tom Dawes-Gamble wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 21:38 +0100, John Stumbles wrote:
>> I can spend an hour or 2 freeing up another few gigs but sooner or later
>> I'm going to have to buy another drive. I could 'just' get a 500G[1],
>> copy everything over from the 300G and swap them, but I also have
>> another 300G on another machine I'm using alongside it.

[snip]

> Well assuming your resigned to buying a new bigger better disk this is
> how I would do it.

I've not done this myself, but Tom's method seems optimal. Hopefully all the
LVM stuff works as it should. The only thing I'd say to exercise caution
over is resizing the ext2/ext3 filesystem; check that you're using the right
tool for the job - some are dangerous, but I can't remember which. If you're
using a modern distro that ships with LVM support etc., I would hope this
has all been sorted for you already.

> Tom.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK.                           PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
  - Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>