[sclug] RAID and/or LVM for ganging together HDDs to expand capacity?

Tom Dawes-Gamble tmdg at weardale.cl
Fri Oct 19 09:01:57 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 09:06 +0100, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 07:44:56 +0000, tmdg at weardale.cl said:
>
> > Is it safer to fly a single engined plane?  You have
> > twice the chance of an engine failure on a twin.
>
> But - as you probably know, Tom - there are more fatalities,
> proportionately, following a single engine failure on a twin engined
> aircraft than there are on an engine failure on a single engined aircraft.
>
> (There are good reasons for that, but this is arguably not the place to
> discuss such things).

In deed,

I should perhaps of used the LCD screen example.  An LCD with a
resolution of 1024 x 768 is better than an LCD with a 1680 x 1050 since
your 2.24 times more likely to get a dead pixel.  Though you wold need
to loose 3 pixels on the higher res LCD for be you loose the same
percentage of the screen.

So it's difficult to know if less is more. :-)

The MTBF is one thing the chances of a failure are another.  If you toss
a coin the chances of it coming up heads are 50%.  If it does come up
heads  and you toss it again the chances of it coming up heads are still
50%.

When I think of the thousands of disks of disks I've had contact with
only a hand full have not reached end of service.  So I guess some poor
s*d  is having real bad luck with disks.  :-)

Regards,
Tom.