[sclug] Cheap'n'nasty Tesco Linux machines

Tom Carbert-Allen tom at randominter.net
Wed Apr 9 09:57:16 UTC 2008

My point was that 'open source' purely means something to which the
internal construction is available freely, not the name of a bunch of
guys who started a foundation. I now find myself in the very rare and
un-comfortable place of saying the US patent office seems to have done
something correctly by refusing the patent. In my mind the terms open
source/free source/public domain code etc all mean pretty much the same
and represent a catagrory not a method or product, so to put the
ownership of one of them to a group of guys, no matter how good there
intentions, seems incorrect. I have no objections with them promoting
the good name of the cause, but to claim ownership of any term unless
it's a new name they have come up with for software they have written
then it seems a little weak.

TCA