[sclug] (Reiser)

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 28 20:20:25 UTC 2008

n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com wrote:
> File systems:
>
> Everything is now working. I take the point over ReiserFS (although I'm not
> sure why relations between Herr Reiser, his Frau and the State Penal System
> should affect the code he wrote.

It doesn't. However, it may well affect the number of devs available to
do maintenance work going forward. This gives a risk: if some horrible
bug turns up at some point in the future, and there are no devs
available to fix it, then it may become necessary to perform an
emergency migration away from ReiserFS, and Murphy's law implies that
this will happen when you have the least resources available to deal
with it.

Sure, there are a lot of ifs in all of that, and the risk is quite
small. However, that doesn't mean it's not worth thinking about. FWIW I
used to use ReiserFS and never had any problems with it.

HTH

Will.