[sclug] Load balancing

Matt Dainty matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Wed Aug 6 11:25:57 UTC 2008

* Alex Butcher <lug at assursys.co.uk> [2008-08-05 22:49:49]:
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com wrote:
>
> >>If you need stateful tracking of web applications, I suspect you're out
> >>of luck without looking at things like F5's BIG-IP product range.
> >>
> >I was having a look at Pound today, which puports to be a lightweight load
> >balancer that should just work, so it looks ideal.
>
> Indeed; and I'm happy to be corrected that there are more sophisticated Free
> load balancers than I was previously aware of.

The main one in Linux is the IPVS stuff, you just use the ipvsadm(8)
command to set up the pool. I can't remember offhand, but I'm sure it
handles persistent connections for SSL, etc.

If OS isn't a problem, OpenBSD has relayd(8).

Matt
--
"Everything has to be somewhere and nothing can ever be anywhere other
than where it is."