[sclug] Acer Aspire One and Ubuntu Flavours

Matthew Cox spudgun79 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 23:44:06 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I will be acquiring an Aspire One on Christmas morning, and one of the first
things I would like to do is put Ubuntu on it.  I've yet to decide which
version, but have narrowed it down to Ubuntu, Xubuntu, or something I have
only come across recently, the Ubuntu Netbook Remix (UNR).  The model is the
version with 1GB RAM and the 120GB HD for which I have also picked up the
optional 6 cell battery.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the above with the Aspire One?
I've been through the Ubuntu Community Help for getting everything up and
running with Hardy Heron and there's a lot to tweak, but thats half the
fun.  However the UNR seems to dispense with most of that so I'm wondering
whether that is the way to go along with the screen size considerations.
The only thing that concerns me really is making sure the fan control works
properly so it doesn't get cooked!

Regards,

Matt.