[sclug] Asus minibook. was Re: Fujitsu

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Thu Jan 3 14:52:21 UTC 2008

Alex Butcher wrote:
[...]
>> There's a modem port blocked off, so it must have proper serial hardware
>> inside somewhere I guess (setserial is a listed command).
>
> Not necessarily; it might have been planned to use a winmodem.

Apparently it has the front end and the back end but is missing the
middle end. That is, there's a socket into which it's allegedly possible
to plug a standard MDC modem daughterboard. Don't know if anyone's
actually done it, though.

[...]
> Back on topic, RM are actually the cheapest source of eeePCs in the UK, as
> far as I can tell, *if* they'll sell to you (i.e. you have /something/ to do
> with education).

Beware! The cheap RM version is actually a rebadged 2G (2GB SSD, 256MB
RAM) instead of a 4G (4GB SSD, 512MB RAM). IIRC the 2G has soldered-on
RAM, so if you buy one you may be stuck and unable to upgrade.

--
David Given
dg at cowlark.com