[sclug] Quiet PSU recommendations

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Thu Jul 3 13:38:57 UTC 2008

David,

> Any recommendations for a quiet 300-ish W PSU? Any other resources I
> should look at for information, reviews etc?

The temperature controlled fans keep the noise down when the machine
is idle (mine a noticeably noisier in the hotter weather).  A larger
diameter means the speed can be lower for the same amount of air
shifted.

A few months ago I went to replace my Termaltake 680W unit and found
that the new unit had a larger fan :-), but it was on a side that faced
that corresponded to the sheet metal side of the machine involved, so
it was useless to me.  Eventually I found a supplier who had
the older version in stock, with a smaller can on a different side.

--
Derek M. Jones                         tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd                 mailto:derek at knosof.co.uk
Source code analysis                   http://www.knosof.co.uk